Stewart is the founder and Director of Oath Keepers. He served as a U.S. Army paratrooper until disabled in a rough terrain parachuting accident during a night jump. A former firearms instructor and member of Rep. Ron Paul’s D.C. staff, Stewart previously wrote the monthly, Enemy at the Gates column for S.W.A.T. Magazine.
Stewart graduated from Yale Law School in 2004, where his paper “Solving the Puzzle of Enemy Combatant Status” won Yale’s Miller prize for best paper on the Bill of Rights. He assisted teaching U.S. military history at Yale, was a Yale Research Scholar, and is writing a book on the dangers of applying the laws of war to the American people.
An organization of retired and current military and police, The Oath Keepers organization has published a list of orders that they will not obey:
- Orders to disarm the American people.
- Orders to conduct warrantless searches of the American people.
- Orders to detain American citizens as “unlawful enemy combatants” or to subject them to military tribunal.
- Orders to impose martial law or a “state of emergency” on a state.
- Orders to invade and subjugate any state that asserts its sovereignty.
- Any order to blockade American cities, thus turning them into giant concentration camps.
- Any order to force American citizens into any form of detention camps under any pretext.
- Orders to assist or support the use of any foreign troops on U.S. soil against the American people to “keep the peace” or to “maintain control."
- Any orders to confiscate the property of the American people, including food and other essential supplies.
- Any orders which infringe on the right of the people to free speech, to peaceably assemble, and to petition their government for a redress of grievances.